Cross Stitch Tin for my Embroidery Thread

Looks like today I’m hitting the 2/5 mark for my fall 2015 to-do list!

IMG_4427

I finally finished stitching the top of my embroidery thread tin, a project which was originally inspired by this

tumblr_m1batuynTj1qb4qido1_500

and subsequently inspired by these bangles.

IMG_3564

Using my experience from the bangles project, I set out to embroider the top of the tin, so that there would never again be any question as to what was meant to be stored inside.

IMG_4381

First I set out a grid in pencil, and then marked over it in permanent marker.

IMG_4389

Then I realized that I didn’t like the pattern which I had started with and so chose a different pattern (one of the rosebuds from this pattern, if you’re curious. I’ve also got another project using this pattern in the works so you’ll see it again soon!)

2015-10-16 13.57.41

Then I drilled the holes, having realized that I *actually* wanted the new pattern approximately two stitches lower on the lid of the tin than they were. It was a process. I had some trouble getting the holes to land precisely on the grid marks, though I did try really hard. It occurred to me as I was finishing the stitching that I should have just used the drill press to make the holes instead of a hand held drill. Learn from my mistakes people! a) Make sure the pattern you choose is the pattern you *actually* want and don’t use permanent marker until you’re certain. Maybe then don’t use permanent marker. More on that later. b) use a drill press if you have access to one! I didn’t and that was stupid.

2015-10-16 13.57.38

The insides of your holes will be sharp. Consider using a dremel to cut them down, but be aware that this will leave marks on the inside of your tin. *The more you know!*

2015-10-16 16.30.09

Also, washing off the permanent marker was a pain. It did come off with nail polish remover since it is an alcohol based ink, but it also took off a good section of the “finish” on the tin, making the area around the stitching much shinier.

IMG_4427

When all is said and done you can only sort of tell so it’s fine. The stitching process itself was fairly painless. I used the full 6 strands of the thread to get fuller stitches, and while the insides of some of the holes were sharp enough to sheer the thread, most of the time it wasn’t an issue.

IMG_4391IMG_4395IMG_4398IMG_4403IMG_4411IMG_4417IMG_4420IMG_4419IMG_4422

As you can see I got pretty excited about the stitching process.

IMG_4422

One other interesting thing about the process was that I did a lot of bad-technique backtracking in order to make the back side of the piece look decent.

IMG_4430

I tried to make all the stitches run the same way. I didn’t want it looking messy because you can definitely see both sides, so the back is just as important as the front.

IMG_4428

My thread is so pretty! Nothing quite like seeing a rainbow gradient. No question about what this box holds now, either!

IMG_4427

I love using old techniques in new and surprising ways!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s