UPDATE: I chose this project to re-visit as part of my 2015 re-visited series. The original project is pictured below, followed by a much better quality version which I completed in October 2015.
While I made these truly adorable pillows a few years ago, I didn’t exactly have a sewing machine. Or a color scheme. Or any plan at all.
Three years later I’ve moved into my own place and I finally have all three of those things available, so I decided now was finally the time to re-visit this idea and talk about it a little more in depth.
The first thing I grabbed was these sweaters from goodwill ($5 total, you guys.) I also had pillow forms already, so my total cost for project was $5 ($1.66/pillow if you will)
Honestly, this project is so simple if you have a sewing machine, you guys. All you have to do is remove the seams so that you end up with a vaguely square shape.
Knits stretch, so it doesn’t matter if your fabric is a little narrower than your pillow form as long as they will stretch to fit.
Mine certainly did. I had 0 problems fitting the pillow forms into my pillow cases once I’d sewn the two sides together (leaving a hole for stuffing, which I totally didn’t forget to do at all on the first pillow nope no way)
They’re so fun! They match my decor perfectly, and they’re actually really comfy. I feel very cozy in my bed now.
As you can see, I’ve got some variety. I switched it up by making the two large pillows each have the same back and front, so I have two pillows with turquoise in them instead of just one. I sleep on the little one so I made sure there was a “real pillowcase” side to him for comfort.
In order to vary it up a bit (and not totally because I sewed it wrong the first time) I used the “wrong side” of the teal sweater for one of the pillows, and the “right side” for the other so they match but they don’t match.
The little guy is also special because of the pattern of the knit. I’m a lot in love with these new pillows and they go really well in my new room.